Does the Book of Mormon contradict the Bible? If it does, is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which espouses the Book of Mormon as God’s Word, a false church? The answer is “yes” to both!
Since God is not a God of confusion (1 Cor. 14:33) or of contradiction (Num. 23:19; 1 Sam. 15:29) or of lies (Titus 1:2), then, if His Word, the Bible, teaches that salvation and forgiveness of sins are by grace through faith and not by anything else, then any other religion or religious literature which teaches otherwise is not of God but is a lie and is false.
So let’s see what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints teaches in their Book of Mormon. In 2 Nephi 25:23, it says, “…it is by grace that we are saved after all we can do.”
God’s Word, the Bible, states, however:
- “For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast.” (Eph. 2:8-9)
- “But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace.” (Rom. 11:6)
- “He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy…” (Titus 3:5)
- “[God] who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity.” (2 Tim. 1:9)
- “But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.” (Acts 15:11)
- “…and after he brought them out, he said, ‘Sirs, what must I do to be saved?’ And they said, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you shall be saved…’ ” (Acts 16:30-31)
- “But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.” (Acts 20:24)
- “Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, …unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures.” (1 Cor. 15:1-4)
- “But even though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.” (Gal. 1:8)
The Book of Mormon also says in Moroni 8:25, “the first fruits of repentance is baptism; and baptism cometh by faith unto the fulfilling the commandments; and the fulfilling the commandments bringeth remission of sins.”
God’s Word, the Bible, states, however:
- “Of Him [Jesus] all the prophets bear witness that through His name every one who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins.” (Acts 10:43)
- “Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through Him [Jesus] forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and through Him everyone who believes is freed from all things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses.” (Acts 13:38-39)
- “and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith.” (Acts 15:9)
- “to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, in order that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me [Jesus].” (Acts 26:18)
Since the Book of Mormon contradicts the Bible, and the Bible is God’s Word and was written before The Book of Mormon, therefore, God did not write it, and it is false along with the religion, Mormonism (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), which espouses the Book of Mormon as God’s Word.
Recommended Topics for you:
- What does the Bible say about grace?
- Mormonism: Contradictions within Itself and Between the Bible
- Mormonism by Ron Carlson