Name: World Mission Society Church of God
Alternate name(s): The Church of God, WMSCOG, COGWMS, The Church of Ahnsahnghong, Elohists
Leader(s): Zang Gil-Jah aka “the Heavenly Mother,” or “Mother Jerusalem” and Rev. Kim Joo-cheol, “Chief Pastor”
Founder(s): Ahn Sahng-hong aka “our heavenly Father Christ Ahnsahnghong” (1918 -1985)
Established: 1964, Korea
Websites: http://english.watv.org, http://proclaimahnsahnghong.com, http://www.mygodahnsahnghong.com/
Related Organizations: Church of God History Museum, Messiah Orchestra
Membership: The World Mission Society of God is present in many countries. One official site states that “the Church of God has grown into a world-class church just within half a century with 400 and 120 churches in Korea and abroad respectively and more than 820,000 followers worldwide.”
- WMSCOG: The Church claims a man called Ahnsahnghong is the Second Coming of Christ. According to this church, Ahnsahnghong is Jesus.
- Bible: The Bible teaches clearly that Jesus Christ will return as a Jew visibly, not in a secret coming.
- “For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. Behold, I have told you in advance. So if they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out, or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be (Matt. 24:23-27).
- Ahnsahnghong made false prophecies by predicting the end of the world in 1967 and 1988. This is a sin. Since Jesus never sinned and/or ever make a mistake, He and Ahnsahnghong are not the same person.
- WMSCOG: Expects the world to end at the end of 2012, before which they hope to recruit 144,000 members.
- Bible: The Bible nowhere teaches that the world is going to end in 2012. Jesus stated that no one knows the day nor the hour of His return.
- The 144,000 individuals spoken of in the book of Revelation literally refer to Jewish males from each tribe of Israel. It is not referring to a select number of Christians who are Asian or of any other ethnic background.
- WMSCOG: Considers Korea to be Zion (the new spiritual Jerusalem)
- Bible: The Old Testament clearly teaches that Zion is in Israel, not anywhere else.
- For example: “The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcast of Israel. Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem; praise thy God, O Zion.” (Psalms 147:2, 12 KJV). “But ye are come unto Mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men mad perfect, ” (Hebrews 12:22-23).
- The disciples clearly understood Jesus teaching to refer to the restoration of the naton of Israel in Acts 1:6-7, “So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, “Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority.”
- WMSCOG: Believe Mother Jerusalem to be the female incarnation of God.
- This is definitely unbiblical since the Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is the unique incarnation of God as the one and only begotten Son of God who is God and man. Since Jesus is the unique incarnation of God, there are not other incarnations of God who are female.
- Jesus is God: John 1:1, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being…. 14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.” Jesus also created all things (Col. 1:16-17), is called God (Rom. 9:5; Heb. 1:8), and is worshiped (Matt. 2:2; 14:33), and prayed to (1 Cor. 1:2; Acts 7:55-60).
- Jesus is Man: Jesus rose from the dead as a physical man (Lk. 24:39; Jn. 20:19-20), ascended into heaven as that same man (Acts 1:11) and is still a man right now since He is our Mediator as man (1 Tim. 2:5) and eternal High Priest as a man after the order of Melchizedek (Heb. 6:20; 7:25). Scripture also speaks of Him presently dwelling in bodily form (Col. 2:9).
- There is only one God: There is only one God in all existence (Is. 43:10; 44:6, 8). Therefore, there are not other gods who incarnate. Jesus is the only one.
- WMSCOG: Ahnsahnghong predicted Christ would return in 1967 and 1988.
- Bible: The Bible is clear that prophets who make false prophecies are not of God.
- Deut. 18:22: “When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.
- WMSCOG: The concept of “Trinity” means that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are not different entities, but are one God. The Trinity – God the Father [Jehovah], God the Son [Jesus], and God the Holy Spirit [Ahnsahnghong] – are one. So Ahnsahnghong is the Holy Spirit!
- WMSCOG: Only God the Father, Christ, Ahnsahnghong and God the Mother (Heavenly Mother) can give people salvation. For six thousand years God has carried out His salvation work in the names of Jehovah, Jesus, and Ahnsahnghong, each according to its age.
Deity of Christ
- WMSCOG: One blogger states, “Through the prophecy of the Bible, let’s confirm that Christ Ahnsahnghong, who came as the Savior in the age of the Holy Spirit, is truly the Second Coming Christ. Jesus is in His very nature God (Phil. 2:5), the very God Jehovah who granted salvation during the age of the Father. Since Jesus is, in fact, Jehovah, there is no contradiction between “There is no savior apart from Jehovah,” and, “There is no other name given to men by whom we must be saved (apart from the name of Jesus.)”
Distinctive beliefs and practices
As one of the group’s sites states, “The World Mission Society Church of God is a religion spread to the West from Korea.” Elsewhere it explains that “God the Mother is the core of our faith and the figure that guides us. A human, by nature, is susceptible to committing a sin. God the Mother, who understands human vulnerability, steers us in the right direction just as our mother takes care of children. God the Mother stands by and prays for us whenever we face hardships.” It also notes that “The overseas members are continually visiting the New Jerusalem Temple (in Bundang-gu, Seongnam City, Gyeonggi Province)….It’s because the members of the Church of God all around the world believe that Korea is the blessed country at the ends of the earth according to the prophecy of the Bible, that is, the last holy land of the gospel.”
- Centers for Apologetics Research: http://www.thecenters.org/searchgroups.aspx?groupid=188
- Freedom of Mind Resource Center, Inc.: http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/w/world-mission-society-church-of-god/
- Christ Ahnsahnghong & Jerusalem Mother: http://father-mother-mi.blogspot.com/
Recommended Topics for you:
- Mother God and the World Mission Society Church of God
- The Effect of One’s Concept of God
- The Marks of a Cult